The first half of city council’s October 27 meeting was swift, as they cleared through most items as fast as possible due to the lack of power. The second half was largely focused on discussion of Ordinance 14-102, which was passed and authorizes City Manager Tom Homan to enter a Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) with Berkshire Township to create a Tanger-Simon outlet mall.
City council carries on business despite the darkness.
The vote was largely in favor – with the exception of At-Large Councilman Kent Shafer, who was excused, and Third Ward Councilman Joe DiGenova, who voted against taking action on the second reading without Shafer being present.
Related: “Delaware City Council nears JEDD deal with Berkshire on mall“
City Attorney Darren Shulman explains the details of the JEDD contract.
The city will receive a four percent administrative fee that the city will receive first from income tax revenue, to offset the cost of administering taxes in the JEDD. There will also be a JEDD board, which will receive one percent. Berkshire Township will get 60 percent of the rest and Delaware city, 40 percent.
The JEDD board will govern the area and will have three members – one appointed by the city, one by the township, and one by both together. When businesses fill the JEDD they will get a fourth member and workers will receive a fifth to represent them.
Assistant City Manager Jackie Walker (right) reads information by lamplight.
During the discussion among city officials, power was restored to the building and downtown Delaware; no one from the community came forward during the public hearing preceding the vote.
Council members hold the second half of their meeting in the light.
In other areas covered before the JEDD discussion, the city council was introduced to five new city employees who’ve recently begun working with the Economic Development and Public Works departments. The council also approved the transfer of the Roop Brothers Bar’s liquor license from an LLC owned by Al Roop to one owned by Joshua Moore and Mika Sparks.
“I’d like to thank you for everything you’ve considered for me and my brother at Roops,” Al told the council.
“…I think the city and myself needed some new guys (who are) 20 years younger to carry on the legacy of Roops in an up-to-date form and these are the guys. I thank you all.”