The Edgar Hall building which currently houses part of Ohio Wesleyan University’s Fine Arts department sits on the border of two historic districts in Delaware. As part of the Sandusky Street Historic District, it was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The Ohio Wesleyan buildings were [Read more…]
The Forgotten Places of Delaware, Ohio…
According to author and researcher Rick Helwig, there are approximately 8,000 to 9,000 ghost towns in Ohio. Helwig, the director of the Center for Ghost Town Research in Ohio, spoke to a large crowd during a program put on by the Delaware County Historical Society at the First Presbyterian Church.
Helwig runs the center from his home [Read more…]
Delaware County Fair’s history and tradition leads makes the fair what it is today.
So it’s almost time for the Delaware County Fair. While dinner options might include fried candy bars and pepperoni sticks, or perhaps a trip to the Buckeye Valley booth for healthier fare, there was a time when the county fair meant [Read more…]
Grab a reader, take a seat, and lets explore the Delaware Chair Company.
The Delaware Chair Company was an international award winning manufacturer of chairs, some of which found their way to the White House. Ranging from institutional chairs for firehouses and schools including Ohio Wesleyan University, to more plush versions for the nation’s capitol and such places as the Great Southern Hotel and the Neil House, the chairs were eventually sold around the world.
Known for their unique [Read more…]
Berkshire Township is home to some big rocks.
To be more precise, two of Ohio’s largest glacial erratics are located in or near Sunbury. One is in the town square, supporting the statue of General William Starke Rosecrans. The other is located three miles east of Sunbury on private property – all 200 tons are right where the glaciers left it over 10,000 years ago.
As with almost all of our townships, Berkshire has [Read more…]
Starting in the 1950s, Orange Township land was coveted by developers and needed by state and federal agencies. Land was acquired for a Columbus Metro Park, U.S. Rt. 71, Alum Creek Dam, and the Polaris shopping mecca. Long gone farms, villages and stories of settlers give glimpses of the early days while two hundred years later, residential growth is soaring and parks and services are being developed to keep up with the changes.
The 1914 Archaeological Atlas of Ohio shows 6 mounds and 1 enclosure in Orange Township. Unlike any other township in Delaware County, two mounds and prehistoric earthworks have been preserved in [Read more…]
Delaware County History Abounds in Genoa Township!
Genoa Township has three listings on the National Register of Historic Places, and one is a mysterious archaeological site. In 1879, Professor John T. Short explored two Indian mounds in Genoa Township. In the 1880 History of Delaware County, an extensive record of the dig explains where they were and what they found, but today the Spruce Run Earthworks has [Read more…]
Tucked up in the northeast corner of Delaware County, Oxford Township is mostly rural and home to the village of Ashley. Ashley sits way up in the northeast corner of the township, surrounded by Morrow County. This location may seem remote, but it’s easily accessible on U.S. Rt. 42 or S.R. 229. The one stoplight in this town happens to be right at that intersection.
In 1810 Ezra and Comfort Olds built
Concord Township – Cross Section of America!
Even if you don’t dock your boat at the Leatherlips Yacht Club, you can still cruise down both sides of Concord Township in your stylin’ set of wheels. Spring is the perfect time for a windows-down, radio-up kind of drive.
The Scioto River cuts right down the middle of Concord Township, flanked by state routes 745 and 257 on either side. The community of Bellpoint is in the north, Rathbone is in the middle and Shawnee Hills holds strong in the southern part. The Delaware County part of Dublin is at the southern tip. [Read more…]
As half of the inspiration for 3 B’s and K Road, the townships of Brown and Berlin include the north end of Alum Creek State Park. While an earlier article explored the park area, there is much more to know about these townships.
Before any permanent settlers arrived, the northeast quarter of present day Brown Township was designated by the federal government as a Salt Reservation. This section of land just north of present day [Read more…]