The derailment happened in January near a bridge over Curve Road, just outside Delaware city limits. Norfolk Southern told DelawareO that 10 cars were originally involved. When we flew a drone over the site on February 23, five cars remained.
Wednesday morning, two train cars were still along the tracks. Crews from R.J. Corman Railroad Group were on site, picking up some of what remained. The company had set up a crane on Curve Road, and was loading railroad ties onto flatbed trucks.
According to the railroad, no hazardous materials were involved in the derailment. All of the cars were empty at the time they went off the rails. The remaining cars will likely be cut into pieces and hauled away for scrap.
Earlier this month, Delaware City Council unanimously voted to approve a resolution that urges state and federal governments to take action on railroad safety.
During that March 13 meeting, some frustration was aired about a perceived lack of communication from Norfolk Southern in the weeks following the derailment.
“It continues to be my concern that we have not heard back yet from Norfolk Southern regarding the rail derailment,” said City Manager Tom Homan. “I have texted my contact at Norfolk Southern and still have not heard back, unfortunately. I know they are obviously preoccupied with what’s going on in East Palestine, but I really think it’s somewhat inexcusable that we have not at least been notified as to what happened, why, and what is going to be done about it.”
Homan went on to say that on the other hand, the city is working closely with other parts of the railroad as they prepare to rebuild the rail bridge at the Point intersection.
Mayor Kay Riggle told council that despite being holding elected office in the city, she found out about the derailment on social media.
“It’s pretty sad that as I’m on council, learning about it from Facebook. It’s just very discouraging,” said Mayor Riggle.